Rufus T. Firefly wrote:MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Some of that assumes walking is always possible for a person's anatomy and health/abilities, etc. Also, conveniences can be protective of us.
True. But somehow our
fore bearers survived long enough to assure our existence. Maybe they were
cut of tougher cloth?
I don't know the answer to that.
I can submit for your consideration, however, in that regard, that as a boy during the 40's and 50's (which was not so long-ago as your photo, of course,) I came to respect the men who worked in the steel mills, around the clock, covering shifts: 3 - 11; 11 - 7; 7 - 3, as incredibly tough. The mills were hellholes, IMO, enough that being in them convinced me to work there for only one Summer and then work real hard in college, so I'd never have to go back to the mills, where all the men in my family worked, exemplified by this photo, taken at Homestead Steel Works, a couple miles down a hill from my childhood home..
I've been in one of these rooms, just like this, wherein a ladle was depositing (my word for it) melted iron (or was it steel?

) into ingot molds. (I'm sure one of my betters, here on MTJ, will refresh my memory in that regard.) The intensity of the heat was beyond accurate description, as far as I was concerned, but HELL was sufficient to move me along.
The man in the "pulpit," as it was called, was a mystery to me, not because he was able to operate the overhead crane, though that was fascinating enough for me, but because heat rises, which meant he always had a face-full of the heat that radiated directly from that ladle of molten metal.
So, yes, as you said, they were indeed "cut from" tough "cloth" which we may not see the likes of today, and yes, they certainly gave me the foundation of the life I live today. But "tougher"? I don't know but do have my suspicions, now that you've made a point of it.
P,S, The folks in the medical profession, particularly the surgeons, in my experience as a patient, and in my mind, are certainly cut from unique, tough, gifted cloth. I don't know where they get the guts for all that analysis/diagnosis, plus its resulting surgical decisions, opening somebody up and saying to themselves and the patient that the problem can be fixed.