healey36 wrote:
I've got an employee who drives in from Fairfield PA every day Sarge, just a few miles southwest of Gettysburg. That has to be grueling...I feel for him. I know why he does it...he's got a beautiful old chalet up there built into the hillside not too far from Liberty, but I couldn't do it.
So how is the Mini? You're killing me with envy. My neighbor is telling me she wants to trade hers in on a new Fiat 500...nooooooooooooooooooooo! She knows I want her car...I think she's just jerkin' my chain.
Healey
I did it for several reasons as part of a retirement planning and social environment exercise.
We figured that we could sell our house in Montgomery County MD for enough to pay our mortgage off and have enough to pay for the lion's share of a place in PA. I bought that house when I got married (in my mid-forties), from a friend of mine who needed to pay his corporate taxes, as it sat, and my wife and I put our ready cash into it rather than following the common advice from the "financial advisors" that said (inexplicably to my simple brain) to keep the mortgage and put the money in "investments".
By a bit of a fluke, we sold it just before the real-estate bubble detonation, and the difference between suburban MD and rural PA found us not with a smaller mortgage, but paying cash for a modest Cape with a 25x35 Morton "toy-box" in back. Instantly we caught up to where we would have been if we had married in my 20s and I had had a normal career that involved living in the same place for more than six-months at a time. No mortgage is a good place to be when retired.
Even more important in our mind was to get away from the urban and into a small-town environment before our son started school. I can't say how important this has turned out to be in his social development. I've been taken to task over this one, as the all-knowing school raters have the schools in Montgomery County and Fairfax County Virginia as some of the most academically superb in the nation. It's more than academics that form a mind, though, and here he can go to school without much of the social baggage of urban/suburban culture, enjoy smaller class sizes, a tight circle of friends, and all that goes with a small town. Academic we can make up for as parents, and we haven't found much to complain about here compared to there, if I'm honest. The suburban social environment we can't make up for. He is getting a broader grounding he wouldn't have gotten if we had stayed.
My wife and I also find the pace to be much less frenetic. She has a good circle of friends here, something that was not very successful there even though she was born and raised in Northern Virginia and DC. The competition/cougar element just isn't here, and she has thrived in ways that she never would have; a nice circle of good friends, cultural things by choice, and peace to retreat to when needed.
Lastly, PA doesn't tax retirement income. It helps, but ranks a distant fourth to the other reasons above. Fuel taxes are high in PA, property taxes are no slouch either, but still my tax profile across the board is less than what I was paying there though not as much as to be a driver all by itself, if I'm honest.
We made the jump six years before I retired (it would have been five but for a little annoying glitch), so the payment for all this nirvana was four hours a day on the road on a good day for a long time. It can beat you up, you don't see your family for more than an hour or so a day, and the end of the week finds you in a right state of exhaustion so weekends aren't that great either.
Now, though, we enjoy the fruits of that effort. I'm home now as my son is in Junior High and growing into a fine young man, my wife is happy in an environment of friends like she has never known, I'm editing OST as my only employment and we still manage the bills, it was not for the faint of heart but for us it was worth it.
I'll catch you up on the Mini later today; don't let her sell to anyone but you! For anyone who is a true petrolhead, a Mini as daily transport is epic fun. More later on that.