A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Play nice and have fun... AS OF JULY 12 2025, THIS FORUM IS LOCKED.
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42161
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:10 pm

rogruth wrote:Rufus?Rufus?

What have you done to yourself? :o :o :shock: :shock: :? :?


Image
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:31 pm

Oh,oh,oh.Remembrances of things past.

I think that is your true image.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
MurphOnMillerAve
Posts: 18489
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Kennywood Park
Contact:

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:42 pm

Oh, it be true (I have suspected so, all along.) :mrgreen:

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42161
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:01 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Oh, it be true (I have suspected so, all along.) :mrgreen:


I don't know what they have to say
It makes no difference anyway
Whatever it is, I'm against it!
No matter what it is
Or who commenced it
I'm against it!
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
MurphOnMillerAve
Posts: 18489
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Kennywood Park
Contact:

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:57 am

A likely story...and probably true.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42161
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:12 pm

Image
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby J. S. Bach » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:52 pm

I like that payroll car in the middle, too bad that most of it is hidden. I wonder what event is happening in Wheeling?

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:03 pm

That's even before my time in the Wheeling area. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
webenda
Posts: 15413
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Columbia

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby webenda » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:11 pm

Houses on top of locomotives?
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42161
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:14 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:I like that payroll car in the middle, too bad that most of it is hidden.


That's the CVRR car currently on display at the museum in Strasburg.

In front of it is the little 2-2-2 CVRR Pioneer currently at the B&O museum.

When will they ever be reunited??!!!?!?!?!?!?


I wonder what event is happening in Wheeling?


One of many train fairs that took place early in the 20th century. The Pioneer and that car were on display at many of these events.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby J. S. Bach » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:15 pm

webenda wrote:Houses on top of locomotives?


Reading? B&O? had a few of those, I think that they were called inspection locomotives. Probably a lot more comfortable than riding on the pilot wearing buffalo robes.

User avatar
MurphOnMillerAve
Posts: 18489
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Kennywood Park
Contact:

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:15 pm

Such an interesting photo - the contraptions of that time and the popularity of such a place; I noted, also, the proximity of a church to that part of the RR.
Thanx for the treat.
Murph

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:22 pm

I see a B&O Camel in the background.
Is that the house on the loco to which Wayne is referring?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42161
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:41 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Such an interesting photo - the contraptions of that time and the popularity of such a place; I noted, also, the proximity of a church to that part of the RR.
Thanx for the treat.
Murph


When I saw this one, I had to grab it. Not seen it before. I think that most of the equipment in this picture were all quite old at the time of the picture. Interesting that folks then were interested in their history and would show up to look at such equipment.

Coats and ties and the ladies in their white dresses....the uniform of the day, :wink: Like those straw hats - I was doing a little cleaning up in my home office and was looking over the 2 hats of that style that I have - one from my paternal grandfather and one from my maternal great-grandfather.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
MurphOnMillerAve
Posts: 18489
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Kennywood Park
Contact:

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:51 pm

When I see photos of those days, and assume it is Summer or Spring (judging from the straw hats and the dresses being white,) I am amazed at how hot they must have been in all that clothing (I marvel in the same way, when I see photos of President Lincoln and the Civil War soldiers and realize they are all dressed in heavy WOOL !) and try to imagne how it must have been without deodorant and , perhaps, not being able to bathe as conveniently (I really do not know the facts about that assertion) as we can nowadays. They must have been sooooooooo uncomfortable, yet I have not noticed particularly strained or uncomfortable expressions on the faces in such photos.


Return to “The Club Car Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 50 guests