A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Play nice and have fun... AS OF JULY 12 2025, THIS FORUM IS LOCKED.
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:31 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote: Fabulous. Yes, I do see its potential. In fact, I'd love to do the whole vista, sometime. Someday.


Excellent! Have not been over to Burnt Cabins for 3-4 years.

Incidentally , I have no idea where or when I developed such a strong interest in rural America, ....... I don't need to analyze such phenomena in my humble life, I just need (for some reason) to craft 'em.


Maybe you just recognize their underlying fundamental reality and in their replication find a better attachment to the same?

I find lots of inspiration in these photos Rufus shares with us. I may not do them literally, but much of them penetrates my imagination and emerges here-n-there, a satisfying journey.


I have a couple of cards of Blairs Mills that you will find interesting - in fact, I need to go over there and see if some of the houses on those cards still exist.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:36 am

Main Street, Fannettsburg!

Image
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:16 pm

Rufus,

What fascinates me with the old photos that you, and others, post must be that they remind me
of many small towns in eastern Ohio from my younger days. There were many places that were sort
of half way in time. Some areas without electricity. Towns whose only paved street would be a state
highway. Some that had all modern conveniences. Travel to town was by train and sometimes by
streetcar.
There were some nice things about those times just as there are some nice things about today.
Nostalgia seems to be getting very strong with me but I would not want to live those days again.

More photos please.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
MurphOnMillerAve
Posts: 18489
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Kennywood Park
Contact:

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:29 pm

Nostalgia has its place. When I visit there, I find that it informs me about how far we have come. When I see dirt roads in old photos, for example, or travel along Rt. 30/Lincoln Highway, then zip along Rt. 80 or the PA turnpike, I can feel the cultural shift, as well as the hard practical contrasts. I enjoy that. The shift from "downtown" being THE place to shop, dressed well, to malls, dressed casually, to shopping on-line sitting at a laptop in my underwear, I marvel at that evolution as well. It's all fun; at least, I'm still here to take part in all of it.

It doesn't surprise me that we enshrine it all on our layouts, in our antique hobby of model/toy trains.
Murph

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:39 pm

Murph, the English teacher can say it much better than rogruth the tuba player/band director. :D :D :D :D :D
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:05 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Nostalgia has its place.


"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be."

....travel along Rt. 30/Lincoln Highway..... The shift from "downtown".....


More like the escape from downtown......and almost traveling back in time driving less than ~150 miles.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
healey36
Posts: 6999
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:43 pm
Location: Westminster, MD

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby healey36 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:33 am

Rte. 30 from York to Chambersburg is especially fun...still a bit of the 1930-1960 schlock along the way, although alot of it has disappeared. Stopping at Mr. Ed's just west of Gettysburg was and remains a favorite, although even he has rebuilt recently...good spot to pick up some Bonomo taffy.

Image

Healey

User avatar
MurphOnMillerAve
Posts: 18489
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Kennywood Park
Contact:

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:57 am

Of course, the wonders and charms of nostalgia have their limits. Once - only once - a few years ago, I decided to stay at one of those motels that is composed of several little separate one-room cabins. Upon entering, I noticed it was so infested with spiders I had no trouble detecting them. An inspection of the underside of the bed (or was it a canoe?) disclosed quite a community of them, apparently happily awaiting their next meals. I exited and immediately announced I would not be paying for the night's planned stay. I also stated that if I saw a charge for the room on my card, I would enjoy seeing them in court, just after I went to the health department. Since the , they were made into a parking lot.

Nowadays, I stick to Holiday Inn Express and have found them all (confirmed sufficiently along a round-trip from NJ to a client in Kansas) to be very pleasant and extremely clean, neat, and bug/spider free (as near as I can tell.)
Murph

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:23 am

healey36 wrote:Rte. 30 from York to Chambersburg is especially fun...still a bit of the 1930-1960 schlock along the way, although alot of it has disappeared. Stopping at Mr. Ed's just west of Gettysburg was and remains a favorite, although even he has rebuilt recently...good spot to pick up some Bonomo taffy.


Driven by there countless times.....between Chambersburg and Gettysburg along Caledonia Park where the trolley that never got to Gettysburg terminated.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
healey36
Posts: 6999
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:43 pm
Location: Westminster, MD

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby healey36 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:15 pm

If Ed sold ammunition and bait it would pretty much be nirvana...

Healey

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:26 pm

Carrick Furnace up at Metal right off what is now Rt 75

Then:

Image

Now:

Image
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:06 pm

Is that an invisible fence or what?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:10 pm

Rufus,

Once again my eyes can't make out who/what you have become.
Please let me know. I think I need to visit my eye doctoor. :? :? :?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby J. S. Bach » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:49 pm

Don't feel bad, Roger; neither can I! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen:

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:28 pm

Dave,

I really do think I need to make an earlier than scheduled visit.
I am having more problems all the time. Bending vertical lines.
Squiggily [sp] horizontal lines. Dimness. Can't get both eyes
to focus when reading so I read with one eye.

I realize many people are in much poorer health than I so I
don't like to dwell on it.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH


Return to “The Club Car Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 145 guests