A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Play nice and have fun... AS OF JULY 12 2025, THIS FORUM IS LOCKED.
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:40 am

Image
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:46 am

Does any of that still exist?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:06 am

rogruth wrote:Does any of that still exist?


No idea. There are a lot of very old buildings in this general area of PA that have survived and been preserved by individuals that felt them either to useful or as places that they would live like the old inn in Fannettsburg, the old German church there, and many surrounding homes. The rest tend to fade away.

When just a lad I would be back in the woods with my grandfather wondering about between fishing spots and we would stumble across old foundations, chimneys, and the like that were totally abandoned and falling down. Frequently, a barn over by the way however would be minimally maintained for storage.....by whoever had purchased the farmland.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:10 am

Had the same sort of my experiences with my grandfather. Seems like a long time ago.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
MurphOnMillerAve
Posts: 18489
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Kennywood Park
Contact:

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:36 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
rogruth wrote:Does any of that still exist?


... The rest tend to fade away.

...Frequently, a barn over by the way however would be minimally maintained for storage.....by whoever had purchased the farmland.

All part of the shift in the USA from an agrarian-based culture to an industry-dominated one. (Not complaining. Just describing.)
"Doing wrong is like a joke to a fool." Proverbs 10: 21-28

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:10 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
rogruth wrote:Does any of that still exist?


... The rest tend to fade away.

...Frequently, a barn over by the way however would be minimally maintained for storage.....by whoever had purchased the farmland.

All part of the shift in the USA from an agrarian-based culture to an industry-dominated one. (Not complaining. Just describing.)


....and then back to industrial corporate farming.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:53 am

I don't think a visit to an industrial corporate farm would be much fun.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:06 am

rogruth wrote:I don't think a visit to an industrial corporate farm would be much fun.


Staying upwind would also be a good idea..............
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
MurphOnMillerAve
Posts: 18489
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Kennywood Park
Contact:

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:31 pm

Some of the old pastoral element still exists, however, even on windy days...(here, in Upstate, NY...) for which I often find myself thirsty, even though I was raised in an urban metropolis.
Attachments
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (941.38 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
photo 4.jpg
photo 4.jpg (689.91 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
oiuy.jpg
oiuy.jpg (259.48 KiB) Viewed 2331 times
green4.jpg
green4.jpg (520.36 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
green2.jpg
green2.jpg (302.43 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
"Doing wrong is like a joke to a fool." Proverbs 10: 21-28

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Murph,

I grew up in a small city, 16,000 population, but only needed to go a mile to be in the country midst the farms.
It smelled a lot different in the "country". At that time this was a great place to grow up except for air pollution.
Downtown/uptown [depending on where you lived] had almost anything that might be needed. The Ohio River
was near-by, the woods was not far, the hills were all around and the railroads were close. Schools were top rate.

Most of that is gone now. I haven't been back there @ 10 years .What I remember from my last trip and photos
I have seen of the area is very sad and depressing.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
MurphOnMillerAve
Posts: 18489
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Kennywood Park
Contact:

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:08 pm

rogruth wrote:Murph,

I grew up in a small city, 16,000 population... The Ohio River was near-by, the woods was not far, the hills were all around and the railroads were close. Schools were top rate.

Most of that is gone now. I haven't been back there @ 10 years .What I remember from my last trip and photos
I have seen of the area is very sad and depressing.

That's been my experience, too. The Monongahela and Youghiogheny Rivers, as well as the Allegheny and Ohio, were omnipresent in our lives, back in the 40's, 50's, & 60's. In fact, my mother and her brothers told me the story of the day they went, as children, swimming in the Monongahela River, sticking close to shore, aware of the big drop-off in the riverbed dug for barges. She got caught in a current and was swept immediately toward the main current. However, just at that moment - at that second - one of her brothers nearest her reached out and grabbed her by the hair and pulled her back to them. It has always boggled my mind to think of how I'd never have been if that moment had not played-out as it did.

The whole area has been devastated since the mills left, in my observation, though nowadays I am barely a tourist there, having learned I could not "go home again." Home there is utterly obliterated. I don't know how folks survive there.
Murph (named, as a boy, after a "Murphy's 5&10" store in McKeesport.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:29 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Some of the old pastoral element still exists....


I have my bit of it still in PA although "civilization" steadily encroaches upon it. I rent my fields out to the Amish and the wooded land goes untouched except to "harvest" a few trees for the fireplace. I believe that I might check on all that tomorrow or Saturday!
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
MurphOnMillerAve
Posts: 18489
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Kennywood Park
Contact:

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:01 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Some of the old pastoral element still exists....


I have my bit of it still in PA although "civilization" steadily encroaches upon it. I rent my fields out to the Amish and the wooded land goes untouched except to "harvest" a few trees for the fireplace. I believe that I might check on all that tomorrow or Saturday!

And I am certain you deserve every moment of the peace it can nourish in you, Rufus.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:35 am

Now this is a structure to model!

Image
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
rex desilets
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:18 pm

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rex desilets » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:50 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Now this is a structure to model!

Image

We'll be waiting for progress reports when you get around to modeling this gorgeous building :)
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams


Return to “The Club Car Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 136 guests