A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Play nice and have fun... AS OF JULY 12 2025, THIS FORUM IS LOCKED.
User avatar
robert.
Posts: 6010
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:24 am

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby robert. » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:59 pm

Here is one i pulled out of the attic. It's a family members cannery in the northeast side of Pa. I'm not sure if i'll find photos of the building.
Image
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:22 pm

rex desilets wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Now this is a structure to model!

Image

We'll be waiting for progress reports when you get around to modeling this gorgeous building :)


This one is one that I am going to seriously consider building a model of if I can get a good feel for the other side and the back.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:24 pm

....but 1st, a little "rest" is in order, or at least just what the Doc ordered.

Image
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:40 pm

Rufus,

It appears to me that the building at Waterfall is a residence on the left side with the business on the right.
Notice how the sides are separated by the fence in front of the left side. The porch is also a little higher.

Have fun.
Last edited by rogruth on Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:17 pm

rogruth wrote:Rufus,

It appears to me that the building a Waterfall is a residence on the left side with the business on the right.
Notice how the sides are separated by the fence in front of the left side. The porch is also a little higher.

Have fun.


Yup! A not uncommon arrangement in this area of PA. Our family store (several generations back...) was similarly arranged.

I know I shared this photo a lot time back, but it's the store in Doylesburg....

Image
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:33 pm

Yes, they are very similar. I think this was common all over the country at one time.
I remember many places like that.

I see so much I think would be nice to model but just don't have room.
My pre-determined in my mind layout is basically done. Some would now
tear it down and start over. I really don't have any interest in doing that.
I can make small changes and additions with what I have. My wife will
ask what I have been doing and I tell her working on the layout and she
says she doesn't see any difference. Very seldom will she. All small stuff
that does make a small change in a scene, at least to me.
I'm not really to lazy to start over, just too old and tired.
I can be very happy watching trains run around and know that I did it all.

If I did a do-over I would probably go for an early 20th century period. The
problem with that is that not much is available and I am not a builder of
appropriate kits for sure.

Too long of a ramble.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
MurphOnMillerAve
Posts: 18489
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Kennywood Park
Contact:

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:42 pm

rogruth wrote:.....
...I can be very happy watching trains run around and know that I did it all...

This hobby of ours has totally shifted in that regard for me. (I'm not sure why.) I don't run trains for myself at all anymore. Ever. Not as any sort of "vow," just a lack of interest, unless we have invited company to the house. Then, I get very motivated. Everything gets dusted and the trains are run to make certain no foul-ups might occur. Locomotives with attitude get purged from the layout, and the old-dependables are positioned for what I hope will be seamless operational events for guests. Given the approaching Holidays, during which we are planning a goodly number of parties, I am much looking forward to happy times @ Moon Township.

And like you, Roger, I have made a couple little changes, putting a holiday parade in place and decorating several buildings on the layout for Christmas, once again.

Also, with incredible good fortune, a client called asking me to make alterations and further embellishment to his permanent-winter/Christmastime layout, which I visited last Wednesday, spending the day re-crafting. It reminded me of how much I enjoy the creative side of our hobby. And BTW, I'm done buying trains.
Murph

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:25 pm

Murph,

I have looked at photos of your layout and trains many times.
Find something new every time I look at your stuff.

Oh,by the way, you don't really need anymore stuff.
You would need to get rid of something to get anything
else on your layout. I wouldn't be able to get rid of anything.
:D :D :D :D :D
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:07 am

Some nice details to capture in this structure - those doubled brackets at the roof are interesting; 2nd story open door looks a little hazardous!

Image
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:40 am

Looks like a door on the 3rd floor also.
Even that 1st floor door has a rather high first step. :D
Is that some type of line used for hoisting stuff?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:00 am

rogruth wrote:Looks like a door on the 3rd floor also.
Even that 1st floor door has a rather high first step. :D


Interesting to also look at the alignment of the bottom of the doors with the windows - 2nd floor looks like it's a bit lower than the wndows, but the 3rd floor door is even with the windows

Is that some type of line used for hoisting stuff?


Either that or they had monkeys........
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

Tom Dempsey
Posts: 1002
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:00 am

That is the pre-electrification days version of an industrial elevator.

User avatar
Mitch
Posts: 5215
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 2:06 pm
Location: Freeport, Pa.

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Mitch » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:42 pm

I'm going to say you're lookin' at 6" clapboard siding, and by my count, (with my 4" magnifying glass), 22 boards to the peak of the first floor door. Assuming a 12' ceiling in the first floor, then the door would be one of those olden 8 footers plus the wing window above it, (if the man standing in the doorway is average height, (about 5'10") so the second floor would likely have 10' ceilings, and it also appears that all the windows are the same, therefore, so those windows are closer to the floor than the first floor, which makes the door look below level. The gable windows are nearly on the floor.
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:44 pm

Mitch wrote:The gable windows are nearly on the floor.


That's what I was getting as well. Looks to be some short folks in those doorways, :wink:

Another good building project!
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
rex desilets
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:18 pm

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rex desilets » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:11 pm

The last photo appears to be one mighty fine & elegant mill. For a more homely example, I went back to an ancient MR and a mill scratchbuilt by George Allen: Mifflinburg Mill. Alas, when I visited Mifflinburg years ago I could not find the structure. But, anyway, here is a couple of elevations. Anyone highly motivated to go build it may contact me and I'll provide all the drawings.
Attachments
Mifflinburg Mill 2.jpg
Mifflinburg Mill 2.jpg (2.88 MiB) Viewed 2682 times
Mifflinburg Mill 1.jpg
Mifflinburg Mill 1.jpg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 2684 times
Last edited by rex desilets on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams


Return to “The Club Car Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 233 guests