A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Play nice and have fun... AS OF JULY 12 2025, THIS FORUM IS LOCKED.
J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:53 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:See this sign here (how could you miss it!?) Well, I have guilt. Is it too large for the building and type of business? And unrealistic? Or do signs in various places like this more rural site occur this size? :? Murph

Ed bought the building from a failed/closed business and had the existing sign repainted with his business name. Note that the sign does look fresh and clean.

User avatar
healey36
Posts: 6998
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:43 pm
Location: Westminster, MD

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby healey36 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:17 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:See this sign here (how could you miss it!?) Well, I have guilt. Is it too large for the building and type of business? And unrealistic? Or do signs in various places like this more rural site occur this size? :? Murph

Ed bought the building from a failed/closed business and had the existing sign repainted with his business name. Note that the sign does look fresh and clean.


Let's see...he sells tobacco and has a USPS franchise for his town. If he got a liquor license and a cooler to keep live bait in, he'd be pretty much a one-stop shop. Nope, you couldn't fit all that on the sign...

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:26 pm

healey36 wrote:
J. S. Bach wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:See this sign here (how could you miss it!?) Well, I have guilt. Is it too large for the building and type of business? And unrealistic? Or do signs in various places like this more rural site occur this size? :? Murph

Ed bought the building from a failed/closed business and had the existing sign repainted with his business name. Note that the sign does look fresh and clean.


Let's see...he sells tobacco and has a USPS franchise for his town. If he got a liquor license and a cooler to keep live bait in, he'd be pretty much a one-stop shop. Nope, you couldn't fit all that on the sign...


You left out guns & ammo.......although the local church probably has that franchise, :lol:
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
MurphOnMillerAve
Posts: 18489
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Kennywood Park
Contact:

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:48 pm

What a fun crew! You guys are a lot like that group of good ol'boys a-settin' on dat front porch. United in the ability to do mischief. :P
Ohh taaay,
ol' Murph :mrgreen:

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:01 am

CVRR Bridge with a train on it in Carlisle, PA

Image
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:32 am

Interesting combination of stone and wood holding that up.
My guess is that the wood came first.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
MurphOnMillerAve
Posts: 18489
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Kennywood Park
Contact:

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:01 am

rogruth wrote:Interesting combination of stone and wood holding that up.
My guess is that the wood came first.

Interesting point to draw attention to. I'm going to guess the opposite. Perhaps, the wood supports came after the stone, as additional support , as the the railroads progressed and trains and locomotives, in particular, got heavier and faster (?)

However, now that I look at the photo further, I notice those slabs of finished-stone leaning against some of the supports. Perhaps, the stone is being added as extra support to the wooden original supports (?) :? :D

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby rogruth » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:14 am

Murph,
That was my thinking.
Rufus may find a photo that shows.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:37 am

rogruth wrote:Murph,
That was my thinking.
Rufus may find a photo that shows.


This was a new RPPC card that I had not seen before this past week - it was listed in the Indices for Laughlin cards. I'm missing copies of a few of the ones for Carlisle out of the 500 #'s. It's also a scene that I'd not seen before....

I suspect that the stone came 1st as a lot of the CVRR bridges were stone or even concrete - it's also a lot easier to add/build wood framing to fit to shore up stone supports than doing the converse.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
MurphOnMillerAve
Posts: 18489
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Kennywood Park
Contact:

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:58 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
rogruth wrote:Murph,
That was my thinking.
Rufus may find a photo that shows.


This was a new RPPC card that I had not seen before this past week - it was listed in the Indices for Laughlin cards. I'm missing copies of a few of the ones for Carlisle out of the 500 #'s. It's also a scene that I'd not seen before....

I suspect that the stone came 1st as a lot of the CVRR bridges were stone or even concrete - it's also a lot easier to add/build wood framing to fit to shore up stone supports than doing the converse.

Yes, that's what I was figuring initially. But I wonder why those blocks are sitting there, seemingly waiting to be added under the horizontal features.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:12 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
rogruth wrote:Murph,
That was my thinking.
Rufus may find a photo that shows.


This was a new RPPC card that I had not seen before this past week - it was listed in the Indices for Laughlin cards. I'm missing copies of a few of the ones for Carlisle out of the 500 #'s. It's also a scene that I'd not seen before....

I suspect that the stone came 1st as a lot of the CVRR bridges were stone or even concrete - it's also a lot easier to add/build wood framing to fit to shore up stone supports than doing the converse.

Yes, that's what I was figuring initially. But I wonder why those blocks are sitting there, seemingly waiting to be added under the horizontal features.


Maybe just left over, placed there out of the way of the road - not really structural.

However, they could be waiting for a cold drink and the co-ed's from Dickinson to be walking by taking a short cut.....or they could be waiting for Godot, or a bowl of petunias.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
MurphOnMillerAve
Posts: 18489
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Kennywood Park
Contact:

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:20 am

You need a drink.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:43 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:You need a drink.


Ooooooooooooooooo.........that would go good with today's Lean Cuisine here at my office, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
sarge
Posts: 5138
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Dungfield Manor

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby sarge » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:01 pm

One has to wonder if the bridge itself is a temporary structure. I'd guess the capstones have been displaced off the piers to make way for the cross-cleating structure of the timber trusswork, and those stone piers with the capstones removed are quite probably not even touching the underside of the deck at all.

It very much looks like the wood structure components, runners, deck, truss-piers, and cleats are all a single structure and the stone piers are merely the remains from a previous structure and not involved at all.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:15 pm

sarge wrote:One has to wonder if the bridge itself is a temporary structure. I'd guess the capstones have been displaced off the piers to make way for the cross-cleating structure of the timber trusswork, and those stone piers with the capstones removed are quite probably not even touching the underside of the deck at all.

It very much looks like the wood structure components, runners, deck, truss-piers, and cleats are all a single structure and the stone piers are merely the remains from a previous structure and not involved at all.


Nailed it! :lol: :lol: :lol: Although, some of the capstones are still in place.........so I don't know how temporary any of this might be....although, if you have enough time, everything is temporary.

I'm still looking to see if I have any more info on this bit of the RR. Very few Laughlin photos cards of Carlisle & the RR other than the depot/station.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.


Return to “The Club Car Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 74 guests