Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
My guess is that those were two fun loving dudes.
roger
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42168
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
rogruth wrote:My guess is that those were two fun loving dudes.
2 wild and crazy guys running a trolley line that didn't even last long enough for them to get uniforms...... The Penn Central... history seemingly repeated itself at a later date.
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
- MurphOnMillerAve
- Posts: 18489
- Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
- Location: Kennywood Park
- Contact:
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
For what it's worth (pro'ly to nobody else but me), I can still clearly recall the heavy, metallic, grinding sounds the trolleys - both from the wheels and their bodies - made, in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area, when I was a boy, in the 1950's, as they made their way along the tracks in the brick and/or cobblestone streets, before asphalt came along. And there was a hard thud the wheels would make when they traveled over switches or cross-overs in a few places. The whole experience of riding a trolley, which I sometimes did with no destination in mind, whatsoever, other than to travel the entire route right back to where I started at Miller Avenue & Duquesne Boulevard, had a metal feel and sound to it all. Everything was metal, except for those black plastic (?) armrests on the newer, at-the-time modern, red-n-cream-colored, longer and sleeker trolleys that came later. The first color of trolley I recall was orange (I'm not sure about any cream-colored trim), and they had "people-catchers" which protruded from their fronts, out about a couple feet, which were black, and black bars approx. a foot up each window, I assume, to keep arms inside and away from harm. That meant, of course, that we kids had to, immediately, each time we entered a trolley with those bars, try to get our arms and hands above those bars, if just for principle-sake and adventure. The motorman would always be watching and ready to yell at us. We obeyed his commands.

Somehow, buses, which replaced the trolleys, were not the fun trolleys were. The buses seemed simply utilitarian, not special. Or perhaps, that was because I had become an adolescent, by the time the trolleys were eased out, and I had time only for getting to-and-from destinations, rather than enjoying the noisy metallic ride there.
There was even a metallic odor/fragrance emanated by trolleys when one was near them; plus, some other scent was present that I cannot quite put my finger - or memory - on,but it was always present, a mixture, which identified trolleys, unmistakably. Anybody else know what I am referring to with this aspect of trolleys?
Somehow, buses, which replaced the trolleys, were not the fun trolleys were. The buses seemed simply utilitarian, not special. Or perhaps, that was because I had become an adolescent, by the time the trolleys were eased out, and I had time only for getting to-and-from destinations, rather than enjoying the noisy metallic ride there.
There was even a metallic odor/fragrance emanated by trolleys when one was near them; plus, some other scent was present that I cannot quite put my finger - or memory - on,but it was always present, a mixture, which identified trolleys, unmistakably. Anybody else know what I am referring to with this aspect of trolleys?
- Attachments
-
- IMG_0482ed.jpg (192.73 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
-
- South Duquesne Ave.jpg (69.98 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
-
- a.jpg (88.08 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Murph,
Reminds me of home except are street car line was single track.
Thanks.
Reminds me of home except are street car line was single track.
Thanks.
roger
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42168
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42168
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42168
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Another cheery group of lads as welcoming as you could ever ask for..........on the Sunbury & Northumberland

We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42168
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42168
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42168
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Rufus,
Who/what is your tag line from?
It seems just a tad familiar.
Who/what is your tag line from?
It seems just a tad familiar.
roger
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42168
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
rogruth wrote:Rufus,
Who/what is your tag line from?
It seems just a tad familiar.
I was beginning to wonder whether anyone ever read them anymore,
It is a quote from Dalenn, a Minbari ambassador....to Babylon 5
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:rogruth wrote:Rufus,
Who/what is your tag line from?
It seems just a tad familiar.
I was beginning to wonder whether anyone ever read them anymore,![]()
![]()
It is a quote from Dalenn, a Minbari ambassador....to Babylon 5
I read them all the time but sometimes they are rather esoteric.
roger
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42168
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
rogruth wrote:Rufus T. Firefly wrote:rogruth wrote:Rufus,
Who/what is your tag line from?
It seems just a tad familiar.
I was beginning to wonder whether anyone ever read them anymore,![]()
![]()
It is a quote from Dalenn, a Minbari ambassador....to Babylon 5
I read them all the time but sometimes they are rather esoteric.
And some are eclectic and obscure.....but most made me pause a bit and either think and/or chuckle....
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Me too. 
roger
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
Return to “The Club Car Lounge”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 231 guests




