Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
- MurphOnMillerAve
- Posts: 18489
- Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
- Location: Kennywood Park
- Contact:
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Sand car? What's that mean? I don't know for sure what I am seeing and interpreting. I mean, I undertand the words but don't know how that trolley fulfills the name. Could somebody kindly explain?

- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42171
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Sand car? What's that mean? I don't know for sure what I am seeing and interpreting. I mean, I undertand the words but don't know how that trolley fulfills the name. Could somebody kindly explain?![]()
I believe that that's a passenger trolley that's been converted into service of sand transport and spreading sand on the rails for added traction. Similar to steam engines and other equipment putting sand down on the rails for traction.
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
- MurphOnMillerAve
- Posts: 18489
- Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
- Location: Kennywood Park
- Contact:
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Sand car? What's that mean? I don't know for sure what I am seeing and interpreting. I mean, I undertand the words but don't know how that trolley fulfills the name. Could somebody kindly explain?![]()
I believe that that's a passenger trolley that's been converted into service of sand transport and spreading sand on the rails for added traction. Similar to steam engines and other equipment putting sand down on the rails for traction.
Thanx but I imagined all that but couldn't figger out how the sand got extruded from the body of the vehicle out onto the tracks. Sand domes with pipes leading down to the trax at the big drivers on steam locomotives, yes, but that trolley? Guys standing at the doors tossing sand out with shovels? And what does a trolley need sand for on its tracks? Never heard (nor saw) that in Pittsburgh during my yute.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42171
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Rufus T. Firefly wrote:MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Sand car? What's that mean? I don't know for sure what I am seeing and interpreting. I mean, I undertand the words but don't know how that trolley fulfills the name. Could somebody kindly explain?![]()
I believe that that's a passenger trolley that's been converted into service of sand transport and spreading sand on the rails for added traction. Similar to steam engines and other equipment putting sand down on the rails for traction.
Thanx but I imagined all that but couldn't figger out how the sand got extruded from the body of the vehicle out onto the tracks. Sand domes with pipes leading down to the trax at the big drivers on steam locomotives, yes, but that trolley? Guys standing at the doors tossing sand out with shovels?
Probably distributed from underneath and not visible around that single truck frame. Interesting hatches on the side for loading. Could be a easy enough bashing project.....
And what does a trolley need sand for on its tracks? Never heard (nor saw) that in Pittsburgh during my yute.
Same reasons as a regular locomotive; added traction up hills, etc. You can see the sanders on some of the larger freight motors and on some steeple cabs. In your youth, you probably never noticed it......too distracted watching Mary-Lou Farnhiemmer,
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
-
Tom Dempsey
- Posts: 1002
- Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:15 pm
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
As I understand it, the trolley companies that operated on the South Hill area of Spokane actually had additional sand distribution done between the runs up the hill and it still wasn't always adequate in the fall (wet leaves on the rails) and at times during the winter. Cars did occasionally lose it and trundle downhill until jumping the track and stopping against a tree. Having once lost traction at about milepost 3.8 heading south (railroad west) out of Marshall Yard on the P&L due to wet leaves on the track, I can assure you, sometimes there ain't enough sand in the universe.
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
That sounds like something I would NOT like to see.
roger
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42171
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Tom Dempsey wrote: Cars did occasionally lose it and trundle downhill until jumping the track and stopping against a tree.
Trolley Surfing!
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Or... it might have just been used to move sand.
Rhode Island 61 was originally built as an open platform car in 1893. Later, the platforms were enclosed, and later still it was modified for use as a sand car to move sand around the system.
Reference: The Rhode Island Company 61 http://shorelinetrolley.org/collection/
The primary reason for the disappearance of interurbans is that their local traffic was almost completely absorbed by the individual motor car and the local delivery truck on paved roads, which gave door-to-door service under the complete control of the individual. This was true with freight traffic no less than passengers. Previously, for example, sand might be loaded into cars somewhere out on the line and brought into town, where it could be distributed by teams. A motor truck that could make the local delivery was just as able to go the 10 miles or so out to the sand pit, so that sand could move from pit to site in one movement.
Reference: http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/railway/trolley.htm
Rhode Island 61 was originally built as an open platform car in 1893. Later, the platforms were enclosed, and later still it was modified for use as a sand car to move sand around the system.
Reference: The Rhode Island Company 61 http://shorelinetrolley.org/collection/
The primary reason for the disappearance of interurbans is that their local traffic was almost completely absorbed by the individual motor car and the local delivery truck on paved roads, which gave door-to-door service under the complete control of the individual. This was true with freight traffic no less than passengers. Previously, for example, sand might be loaded into cars somewhere out on the line and brought into town, where it could be distributed by teams. A motor truck that could make the local delivery was just as able to go the 10 miles or so out to the sand pit, so that sand could move from pit to site in one movement.
Reference: http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/railway/trolley.htm
----Wayne----
Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard
Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42171
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
-
J. S. Bach
- Posts: 5820
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
That is one tight loop judging from the overhead. Nice photo.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42171
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
-
J. S. Bach
- Posts: 5820
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
I'll be dipped, I have a model of that one. I got it at the Rutgers meet a couple of years ago; mainly because it had a Pittman underfloor power truck. The pan snaps on with four male dress snaps. Extremely odd, a different dealer had a pair of pans that had matching female snaps and fit the flat motor. Those pans reach way up, not like the Walthers ones. Thank you for the photo, now I know the prototype for it. Mmmf, the model sort of reminded me of a phone booth on a raft.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42171
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
J. S. Bach wrote:I'll be dipped, I have a model of that one. I got it at the Rutgers meet a couple of years ago; mainly because it had a Pittman underfloor power truck. The pan snaps on with four male dress snaps. Extremely odd, a different dealer had a pair of pans that had matching female snaps and fit the flat motor. Those pans reach way up, not like the Walthers ones. Thank you for the photo, now I know the prototype for it. Mmmf, the model sort of reminded me of a phone booth on a raft.
Would mid taking a few pix of the model from other aspects - I'd like to know what it looks like from the opposite side/direction - symmetrical or not?
Some have also termed these to be outhouses on a raft.
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
-
J. S. Bach
- Posts: 5820
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Would mid taking a few pix of the model from other aspects - I'd like to know what it looks like from the opposite side/direction - symmetrical or not?
If I can find it, I sure will. Many items (not just models) are presently "MIA" due to my move and a careless mover crew.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42171
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
J. S. Bach wrote:............ a careless mover crew.
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
Return to “The Club Car Lounge”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 142 guests

