
A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42164
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42164
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
- MurphOnMillerAve
- Posts: 18489
- Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
- Location: Kennywood Park
- Contact:
Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....
Reminds me of an old film I just saw this morning, "Goodbye, Mr. Chips," with Greer Garson. Your photo shows us so many lives lived and finished, judging from the date inscribed, though just beginning on those porch steps. The joy of teaching includes that experience of helping so many lives on their way into the future; yet, we rarely get to see how each story plays out. That doesn't make it any less rewarding and fulfilling, though. Children and students are a joy.
Murph (1969 - present day, a teacher)
Murph (1969 - present day, a teacher)
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42164
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:..........just beginning on those porch steps.
Indeed. Might be an interesting exercise to track down where these folks went off to in their lives. Suspect that could be done and might make a good story - whatever happened to the class of 1909.
The joy of teaching includes that experience of helping so many lives on their way into the future; yet, we rarely get to see how each story plays out. That doesn't make it any less rewarding and fulfilling, though. Children and students are a joy.
I have been exceedingly lucky to have had a short list of student pass through my life as summer interns, post-bacc's, and post-docs. I have been fortunate to know where most of them went off to in the next phase or 3 of their careers. My letter of recommendation files are extensive and I never fail to sit and write on their behalf - an obligation, part of my position and training, and a joy to see their success.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
- MurphOnMillerAve
- Posts: 18489
- Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
- Location: Kennywood Park
- Contact:
Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:MurphOnMillerAve wrote:..........just beginning on those porch steps.
Indeed. Might be an interesting exercise to track down where these folks went off to in their lives. Suspect that could be done and might make a good story - whatever happened to the class of 1909.The joy of teaching includes that experience of helping so many lives on their way into the future; yet, we rarely get to see how each story plays out. That doesn't make it any less rewarding and fulfilling, though. Children and students are a joy.
I have been exceedingly lucky to have had a short list of student pass through my life as summer interns, post-bacc's, and post-docs. I have been fortunate to know where most of them went off to in the next phase or 3 of their careers. My letter of recommendation files are extensive and I never fail to sit and write on their behalf - an obligation, part of my position and training, and a joy to see their success.
You are, indeed, a fortunate man. I am glad for you. You must feel very, very good about what you have seen.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42164
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Rufus T. Firefly wrote:MurphOnMillerAve wrote:..........just beginning on those porch steps.
Indeed. Might be an interesting exercise to track down where these folks went off to in their lives. Suspect that could be done and might make a good story - whatever happened to the class of 1909.The joy of teaching includes that experience of helping so many lives on their way into the future; yet, we rarely get to see how each story plays out. That doesn't make it any less rewarding and fulfilling, though. Children and students are a joy.
I have been exceedingly lucky to have had a short list of student pass through my life as summer interns, post-bacc's, and post-docs. I have been fortunate to know where most of them went off to in the next phase or 3 of their careers. My letter of recommendation files are extensive and I never fail to sit and write on their behalf - an obligation, part of my position and training, and a joy to see their success.
You are, indeed, a fortunate man. I am glad for you. You must feel very, very good about what you have seen.
Just a small legacy vs. some of my peers at various universities that have had many, many more student pass through their labs -- as a result I've only every had 1 PhD student that got her degree from Oxford in 3 years. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond just smart and has her own company out in the bay area.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
- MurphOnMillerAve
- Posts: 18489
- Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
- Location: Kennywood Park
- Contact:
Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....
You're part of people building successful lives for themselves. There are not many things more important and worthwhile than that.
I've heard it said that all we can "take with us" is what we have done for others
I've heard it said that all we can "take with us" is what we have done for others
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42164
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:You're part of people building successful lives for themselves. There are not many things more important and worthwhile than that.
I've heard it said that all we can "take with us" is what we have done for others
I'll confess that I take a lot of delight in seeing folks come through my labs and research group, and then going off to do well in whatever it is that they go after.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....
IMHO that last statement is why good teachers teach.
It is not the only reason but it helps encourage those that are involved
It is not the only reason but it helps encourage those that are involved
roger
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
-
J. S. Bach
- Posts: 5820
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm
Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....
rogruth wrote:IMHO that last statement is why good teachers teach.
It is not the only reason but it helps encourage those that are involved
That reminds me of a black teacher named Mr. Anderson that I had for music appreciation; I took the course as I (and others) thought that it would be a push-over. Oh no! Mr. Anderson's class was far from a "push-over", it was brutal and quite hard. He was very successful in my case as I acquired a lasting love and appreciation of classical music. He sure did his job and should be proud of it. Note: two pieces that he used were Mussorgsky's "Night On Bare Mountain" and "Pictures at an Exhibition"; it took me many years to find decent recordings of those when I got back into buying records. I give great big tip of my hat to Mr. Anderson for his very successful efforts.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42164
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....
J. S. Bach wrote: Mussorgsky's "Night On Bare Mountain" and "Pictures at an Exhibition"
Two of my favorites - I had at one time at least 6 different versions of Pictures ranging from the original piano version through to a version being played on the theater organ with all sorts of other arrangements in between. They were all good - good test of a piece of music, too.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42164
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42164
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42164
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
- MurphOnMillerAve
- Posts: 18489
- Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
- Location: Kennywood Park
- Contact:
Re: A few CVRR pictures and some other related pictures....
A long-gone bucolic time; yet, I've driven through intersections in Pennsylvania that still look a lot like that, except for the road surfaces, of course. Perhaps, the collective-memory of such times will not be fully forgotten and are still valued .
Return to “The Club Car Lounge”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 307 guests



