Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Caption for Roy's 5 window trolley:
Los Angeles Transit Lines Car 343 taken at Brooklyn and Evergreen terminus of Line B. Photo taken circa 1948. This is a California type car with closed center section and open end sections. Note the five window front with curved glass in the two outside front windows. The B was a line operated by the Los Angeles Railway from 1920 to 1948. It originally ran from Ramona Boulevard and Miller Street in East Los Angeles to Ascot Avenue and 51st Street.
I am trying to locate the site of the photo. If it is at the corner of Brooklyn and Evergreen in Los Angeles, everything has changed, nothing from the old photo is recognizable today.
Los Angeles Transit Lines Car 343 taken at Brooklyn and Evergreen terminus of Line B. Photo taken circa 1948. This is a California type car with closed center section and open end sections. Note the five window front with curved glass in the two outside front windows. The B was a line operated by the Los Angeles Railway from 1920 to 1948. It originally ran from Ramona Boulevard and Miller Street in East Los Angeles to Ascot Avenue and 51st Street.
I am trying to locate the site of the photo. If it is at the corner of Brooklyn and Evergreen in Los Angeles, everything has changed, nothing from the old photo is recognizable today.
----Wayne----
Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard
Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
webenda wrote:I am trying to locate the site of the photo. If it is at the corner of Brooklyn and Evergreen in Los Angeles, everything has changed, nothing from the old photo is recognizable today.
If that's the neighborhood I'm thinking of, there's a restaurant there named Ciro's. Only ventured out to it once. As I recall, it was on a hill - unlike the trolley shot.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.
- MurphOnMillerAve
- Posts: 18489
- Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
- Location: Kennywood Park
- Contact:
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
healey36 wrote:There was the issue of sticking an arm out the window only to have it removed by a utility pole when the car rounded a corner. At least this is what my grandmother threatened me with such stories. I'm guessing that grid over the windows was intended solely to keep dumb@ss kids from losing an arm, leg, head, or whatever else one might think to stick out the window, lol.
That was my take on it, too, especially since the spaces between moving trolleys and parked cars/trucks was quite narrow among and within all the towns in the metropolitan Pittsburgh area, back in the 40's and 50's...
- Attachments
-
- mmrrcoldlocust.jpg (46.29 KiB) Viewed 6854 times
-
- autorow_white - Copy.jpg (37.9 KiB) Viewed 6854 times
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
The best I can recall, every streetcar had a warning painted on the the back end or both ends if it was double ended and the photo above shows why
people should "Watch (Out) For Car Swing".
people should "Watch (Out) For Car Swing".
roger
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
This is one of the Waterfront Red Cars that operated recently in San Pedro.

It's not a Huntington Standard car, but like many early P.E. cars, it has the characteristic five-window ends. But, note the railroad roof, and the small cowcatchers at each end. On these cars, as originally built, only one end was open, and the rest of the car was enclosed.
It's not a Huntington Standard car, but like many early P.E. cars, it has the characteristic five-window ends. But, note the railroad roof, and the small cowcatchers at each end. On these cars, as originally built, only one end was open, and the rest of the car was enclosed.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42165
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Roy wrote:This is one of the Waterfront Red Cars that operated recently in San Pedro.
That's a seriously nice looking trolley! Keep them coming,
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Yeah, I like my trolleys nice looking too, Rufus. Here's the Farmer's Market trolley:

This is an actual tracked streetcar, and not one of those rubber-tired abominations. It runs on batteries, and recharges at the ends of the line. It's double decked, and features two spiral staircases to access the upper level.
In the background, you can see the Farmer's Market clock tower.
This is an actual tracked streetcar, and not one of those rubber-tired abominations. It runs on batteries, and recharges at the ends of the line. It's double decked, and features two spiral staircases to access the upper level.
In the background, you can see the Farmer's Market clock tower.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42165
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Roy wrote:Yeah, I like my trolleys nice looking too, Rufus. Here's the Farmer's Market trolley.
Also noticing the Duck Soup place behind the trolley
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
That's souper!
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Roy wrote:That's souper!
roger
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Roy wrote:Yeah, I like my trolleys nice looking too, Rufus. Here's the Farmer's Market trolley.
Also noticing the Duck Soup place behind the trolley![]()
Must be an old photo, Duck Soup closed in 2008.
They tried to make a go of it by selling everything kitsch like a 1950's Barbie board game, Tony the Tiger cereal bowls, vintage cartoon character cookie jars, posters and greeting cards with subtlety perverse sayings, candles and lotions, t-shirts and knick knacks. Not enough sales to survive their high rent location.
----Wayne----
Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard
Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Roy wrote:Yeah, I like my trolleys nice looking too, Rufus. Here's the Farmer's Market trolley.
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Also noticing the Duck Soup place behind the trolley![]()
webenda wrote:Must be an old photo, Duck Soup closed in 2008.
They tried to make a go of it by selling everything kitsch like a 1950's Barbie board game, Tony the Tiger cereal bowls, vintage cartoon character cookie jars, posters and greeting cards with subtlety perverse sayings, candles and lotions, t-shirts and knick knacks. Not enough sales to survive their high rent location.
I don't even know if the The Grove/Farmer's Market trolley is running, currently. The Waterfront Red Car is certainly NOT running. I'm sorry for any misinformation I provided in my posts. I've been strictly concerned with providing photos.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
This is an all-brass HO model of a Huntington Standard car built by Oriental Models:

Courtesy Dan-D-Sparks.blogspot.com

Courtesy Dan-D-Sparks.blogspot.com
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42165
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
Roy wrote:This is an all-brass HO model of a Huntington Standard car built by Oriental Models:
Very nice. Just going on eBay and looking at HO traction & trolleys is depressing - there were so many imported but relatively none in O.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
- MurphOnMillerAve
- Posts: 18489
- Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
- Location: Kennywood Park
- Contact:
Re: Some more trolleys....C&G, CG&W, H&F, and others....
It's interesting to me that there is no thread dedicated to buses, solely.
And why might that be?
I theorize that buses had nothing of the style and presence of trolleys, and certainly none of the rattle, grind, thud and clank. Now, I'm not even sure what that means, that I just said, but I can feel what I mean. Riding those trolleys for decades, as a boy, we loved everything about them. When the buses came to take their place, it was a big ho-hum, IMO. What do you say?
(Not prejudiced against buses, of course. Some of my best friends were buses, which took me from college to my home during breaks, my entire tenure in undergraduate school. The trip from Ohio to Pittsburgh was comfortable and convenient on those Greyhounds. Even If there were such a thing as a interstate trolley line, it would have been too hard on the spine and keester to take such a ride on a trolley for that many hours!
) 
And why might that be?
I theorize that buses had nothing of the style and presence of trolleys, and certainly none of the rattle, grind, thud and clank. Now, I'm not even sure what that means, that I just said, but I can feel what I mean. Riding those trolleys for decades, as a boy, we loved everything about them. When the buses came to take their place, it was a big ho-hum, IMO. What do you say?
(Not prejudiced against buses, of course. Some of my best friends were buses, which took me from college to my home during breaks, my entire tenure in undergraduate school. The trip from Ohio to Pittsburgh was comfortable and convenient on those Greyhounds. Even If there were such a thing as a interstate trolley line, it would have been too hard on the spine and keester to take such a ride on a trolley for that many hours!
- Attachments
-
- f213aece2926890acfff02f1c30a1889.jpg (203.2 KiB) Viewed 6768 times
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Return to “The Club Car Lounge”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 272 guests